May 27, 2012

May Flowers Skirt and Tutorial

Image

May Flowers Skirt Tutorial -

I am sooooo excited to bring you this tutorial!! My very first!! :) I dreamed this skirt up out of the blue and thankfully I was able to see it to fruition! I will be entering this skirt in the Crafterhours Skirt Week contest in the children’s skirt category so wish me luck!!!!

Image

Fabric - 1 yd of cornflower blue satin - blue for sky (you can use any kind of fabric but blue in color would be best)
Fabric scraps in many colors - for flowers
Fabric scraps in green - leaves
Fabric scraps in yellow - sun
Fabric scraps in white - cloud
Stretch of green in width of the front panel -  grass
Scraps of ribbon -  flower petals, flower stems
Buttons - flower middles
Elastic - measured to child’s waist + ½ inch
White thread - I used white to give it the look I wanted. (D says it looks like a La La Loopsy LOL)

1 - I started by cutting the satin into an A-line. I cut it while still folded over and then cut the pieces apart after I had my lines. It’s easier to do it that way than to cut the back and front and THEN try to get an even line on the sides.

Image

2- I put the green underneath the skirt and cut the angles.

Image

Sorry... The pic is a little sideways. :/

Image

3- I zig-zag stitched the entire perimeter of the green section.

Image
4- Pin the green to the front of the front panel, make sure to turn up the bottom of the front panel and pin for the hem.


5- Straight stitch green to blue, creating a hem as you go.

Image

6- Gather some round items to use as a guide for your flowers and sun.

Image


7- Cut circles - 2 of each color


Image

8- Draw out a cloud on the white scraps and cut while folded (but not ON the fold)

Image

9- Cut ribbon into sections for flower petals

Image

10 - Pin ribbon petals between flower sections

Image
11- Zig-zag stitch all around


Image
12- Continue to do that with the other flowers or leave on plain like I did.
Image
13- Pin ribbon for stems in between the grass and skirt front panel. You can also pin the leaves.



Image
14- Straight stitch together.


15- Straight stitch up both sides on all stems.

16- Pin flowers to the tops of stems.

Sorry! I forgot to take pics for these steps!


17- If you are using buttons for the middles, attach the flowers to the skirt by sewing the buttons through the flower middles into the front panel of skirt.


18- If you have a flower that won’t have a middle, straight stitch all the way around it to attach it to the skirt front.

Image
19- Zig-zag stitch around both pieces of the cloud


20- Pin to the top corner of skirt panel, making sure to leave room for side seams and waist.

21- Zig-zag to skirt.

22- Zig-zag stitch around both pieces of the sun. (sewing them together)

23- Pin  to the top corner of skirt front.

24- Zig-zag stitch sun to the skirt front

25- Pin and hem back panel of skirt.

Image
26- Pin sides of skirt together (right sides together) and sew side seams.


Image

27- Leaving skirt inside out, pin over the top, leaving room for the elastic.


28- Sew elastic pocket but leave an opening to put the elastic through.


29- Pin safety pins to BOTH ends of elastic and thread through the elastic pocket opening. Be sure to hold firmly to both ends.

Image


30. Sew ends of elastic together.


Image

31- Sew the opening closed.

32- Turn right side out.

You are done!! Congratulations! You have made the May Flower Skirt!!!

This way my first tutorial so let me know if it was easy for you to follow. I am definitely open for constructive criticism. ;)

I will be putting another skirt together this week and I will be sure to add a tutorial for it as well! I can’t wait for you to see it!! Another one that is different and came straight from my mind (a very scary place! LOL).

Linking up to The Shabby Creek Cottage Transformation Thursday Linky Party






23 comments:

  1. [...] a brain I just might be dangerous! LOL  Anyway, I am using some of the green that I used on the May Flowers skirt for the other side of the front. I am going to attempt to cut out and sew some of the Green Lantern [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it, and great tutorial! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!! I am really enjoying your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So colorful, such a fun project.thank you for sharing what you have fun doing!
    Jonell
    Like Gramma's Hose Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much!! :) I let my daughter pick the colors for the most part. She LOVED it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you had nothing but fun when you made this skirt. I hope it encourages non sewers to take up their needle and scissors and follow your lead. Bravo. Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much!! And I definitely did! I felt like a kid with crayons! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!!! :))
    I would have thanked you sooner but for some reason this went to my spam. SIGH..... Stupid spam filters.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacy, I'm so impressed. I can sew a pillow, but that's it. And best of all it came from your creative mind. I know you will win the contest.
    Thanks for linking up to my first link party. I'm going to follow you on facebook and twitter.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you SOOOOO much!!!
    I just kept messing around with the sewing machine until I felt comfortable. Then I checked out a couple of tutorials and went from there. I am finding that I like to go my own way more than using patterns. LOL But until I get more skills there are times when I HAVE to go the pattern route! LOL ;)
    Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This skirt turned out great, and those little flowers are just adorable! Thanks so much for linking up to The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for not only sharing this fabulous idea but also for linking your post to my weekly Say G'day Saturday party. I am going to pin this right now!

    Hope you can join in again this weekend!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz
    http://www.natashainoz.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Natasha!!!! :)
    I will definitely be joining again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute! I think it would be great made up as a little A-line jumper too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't even think about that!!! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute skirt!! I love the flowers! We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much!!
    I am working on some great things for next time! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments!! Thank you so much for taking the time! :)