October 7, 2014

Candy Corn Cutie Tutorial



It's that time of year again!! Time to make Cailey a new Halloween outfit!!!

Here are the years past.

Happy Halloween Peasant Dress


Halloween Peasant Dress from last year. SIGH... It's now a tunic. 




This was the Ghostly Giggles Skirt from 2 years ago. 

Bigger SIGH.... It's now knee length. SIGH.... 

She has grown so much in the past 2 years. MAKE IT STOP!!! NOW!!!!! 

WAH!!!!!

At the end of this post is something super special!!! Karen from Baking in a Tornado has a faBOOlous recipe for Candy Corn Bread. OMG!! To die for!!!! 



On to the tutorial!!!

I ALWAYS ask Cailey's opinions on what I am making for her. In this case I asked her about sleeve length, top length and the looseness of the pants. She opted for looser pants over regular leggings. She also opted for long sleeves. 

WHAT I USED

1 yard of white cotton knit (didn't use the whole yard)

1/2 yard of yellow cotton interlock (used the whole thing)

1 1/2 yards of orange poly interlock  (that was the only orange knit I could find)(used most of it) 

3/4" elastic


STEP 1

I used the pattern piece that I made from one of Cailey's shirts and cut the front and back bodice pieces.

Make sure to cut on the fold.

Then I used the same pattern to cut the sleeves. 

Also cut them on the fold. 


STEP 2



Pin the shoulders together and sew the seams.



STEP 3




Lay out the bodice spread out with the right side up. 

Pin in the sleeve and sew the seam. 


STEP 4



Cut the 1/2 yard of yellow in half. 


STEP 5




Run a gathering stitch across the tops of both pieces of yellow.


STEP 6



With right sides together, pin the top of the yellow to the bottom of the white, adjusting gathers as needed. Sew the pieces together.


STEP 7




Turn it inside out and pin all the way up the sides and the sleeves.

Sew the seam.

STEP 8





Cut a piece of white that is about 4" wide and 17" long.
Fold in half and press. 


STEP 9 



With right sides together, pin the collar.

Sew the seam.

If you want you can go back and stitch in the ditch.


STEP 10



Instead of a normal hem, I did a zigzag stitch across the bottom of the top and the sleeves. If you pull slightly as you stitch it will give you a lettuce edge.


STEP 11



Take a pair of pants that fit your child well and use them as a guide for the pants.


STEP 12



Pin from the point of the crotch to the ankle and sew the seam.


STEP 13



Turn one leg right side out and slide it into the other leg that is wrong side out.

Pin in place and sew the seam.


STEP 14



Since I was using a double needle, I turned the pants right side out to stitch the elastic casing.

Then I turned the top in 1" and pressed. Then I turned it in another inch and pressed.

Pin in place and sew the elastic casing, making sure to leave a space to insert the elastic.


STEP 15 



Insert the elastic into the casing.

Sew the ends of the elastic together.

Sew the opening closed.


While I was sewing the ends of the elastic together, my double needle broke. :/ I used a zigzag stitch to finish sewing the elastic casing closed.


STEP 16

Since I was upset about my double needle (I've broken 4 of them in the past couple of months), I forgot to take a picture of the hem of the pants.

I turned the ankles in by 1/2", pressed and using a zigzag stitch, I hemmed both. 


ALL DONE!!!

What I love most about this look is that you can change it up. A yellow, white or green legging and you have a Spring look! ;)






NOW for something REALLY special!!!!!


"Candy Corn" Bread | www.BakingInATornado.com

Now, head on over to Baking in a Tornado for some YUMMMMMMY Candy Corn Bread!!!








4 comments:

  1. Such an adorable outfit, and I love the versatility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much!!! After the pics she refused to take it off. LOL She loves it! :D

      Delete
  2. Stacie, that is adorable.!!! looks so pretty on Cailey.. She has grown so much.. Loved looking at the previous Halloween outfits..so cute.
    I sure hate that my grandkids are getting too big to wear the cutsie outfits.. I miss making them.ha
    The bread looks good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy!! I think I only have a year or two left for the cutesy outfits. LOL

      Delete

I <3 comments!! Thank you so much for taking the time! :)