January 23, 2013

DinoROAR Tutorial Part 2

DinoROAR 1



Today we do the raglan tee and vest!! YAY!! In case you missed it, the shorts were yesterday's tutorial. ;)

What I Used

About 1/2 yard of plain blue knit

About 1/4 yard of the olive green knit

About 1/2 yard of the dino print

About 1/2 yard of blue cotton for the lining





dinoroar tut 2 010



I took one of Colin's shirts and folded the sleeves back to give me the wider angle of a raglan sleeve.





dinoroar tut 2 012

Then I cut the neck. Both the back and the front of the shirt are exactly the same.

If you have ever made a peasant blouse this is VERY close!!! ;)

It looks like I forgot to take a picture of how to cut the sleeves. I am SOOO sorry!! Fibro fog strikes again!!

It's really easy to do. Just fold over your fabric for the sleeves and place the shirt part over it. Be sure to cut the angle of the sleeve in and a curve around the top part for the neck.





dinoroar tut 2 014



I found a picture of a dinosaur claw and printed it out to use as sort of a template for the applique.

Then I pinned the heck out of it! LOL Next, just zigzag all around the edges.





dinoroars tut 2 018



Weird... the olive green looks brown... EWWW!!!

Anyway, pin the sleeve to the shirt, right sides together and sew the one side.





dinoroar tut 3 004



Now attach the sleeves to the back of the shirt in the same way, right sides together.





dinoroar tut 3 009



Pin up the sides of the shirt all the way from the bottom to the end of the sleeve and sew it all up.





dinoroar tut 3 013



Now cut the neck!  I cut the piece 5 " wide and long enough to go around the neck with a little left over.

Fold the piece in half and press.





dinoroar tut 3 014



Pin the neck to the... ummm.. neck.... right sides together, and sew!

When you get the back, just pinch the ends and sew them together.







DinoROAR 4



I also hemmed the bottom of the shirt but no pics.... Just fold over by 1" and sew!







dinoroar tut 3 017



I decided to make a pattern piece for the vest so that all the pieces would be exactly the same.

All I did was trace a shirt that was folded in half and then added in the curve at the bottom and deepened the neck.





dinoroar tut 3 021



You are going to have 6 pieces. 2 left sides, 1 main and 1 lining. 2 right sides, 1 main and 1 lining. 2 back pieces, 1 main and 1 lining.

Just follow the directions that I wrote on the pattern piece. ;)





dinoroar tut 3 023



Pin the lining pieces to the main pieces, right sides together and sew them up, leaving the bottoms and the shoulders open.





dinoroar tut 3 028



Turn the pieces right side out and press.

Then pin the front pieces to the back, right sides together and sew up the sides and the shoulders.





dinoroar tut 3 030



Fold the bottom lining and bottom main in by about 1/2" and press. Top stitch closed.





DinoROAR 2

You are ALLLLL DONE!!!

I thought about adding pockets, buttons and different things to the vest but in the end I liked it much better just the way it is. ;)



I hope that this was easy to follow and I apologize for the pictures I forgot to take. Sometimes I just so deeply involved in what I am doing I forget to stop and document it! LOL



As always, if you have ANY questions AT ALL just click the Contact Me button at the top of the page and send me an email or just ask me in the comments section! :D





9 comments:

  1. So cute... Both outfit and little boy. Happy seiwng.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Judy!!!
    Happy sewing to you, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea - and cute little guy!
    Thanks for sharing - have a blessed week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for coming by and visiting our blog and sharing your awesome project. Come by again and link up some more awesome projects in our Saturday Showcase again next week!

    Have a good week!
    Susie@bowdabra
    http://bowdabrablog.com/2013/02/02/saturday-showcase-craft-project-linky-18/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea. I'm going to do it in a truck theme for my grandson.
    l

    ReplyDelete
  6. […] DinoROAR Tutorial Part 2 - Colin still loves this outfit. It’s holding up well, too! HA! Little boys can be so hard on clothes!! […]

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments!! Thank you so much for taking the time! :)