December 16, 2014

DIY Circle Skirt - Sew Easy, Sew Cute


OMG! I am absolutely in love with this skirt!!! I think I need to make a dozen more in different fabrics. LOL

This was so easy, not sure why I waited so long to try it! 

WHAT I USED

1 1/2 yards of light weight houndstooth corduroy 
1/8 yard of black flannel
1" elastic

I found the corduroy in the remnants bin!!! I paid next to nothing for it! YAY!!!!



STEP 1


Sorry about this picture. I got so excited that I started cutting without taking the pictures first. LOL I had to go back and put the fabric back together as well as I could to take the picture. Hopefully you will still be able to see what I did.

Since that picture isn't so great, you can go HERE to see more. I folded it over 1 more time than I did the reversible table decor. You basically fold your fabric in half, then half again, then half again. 

I measured Cailey's waist (24"). I knew I wanted to put in an elastic waist since it will make the skirt fit her for longer, so I wanted to cut the top circle at least 30". Since I folded it over so many times, all I needed was some simple math. My top cut was 4" wide. 



STEP 2


The next step is selecting the length. I knew I wanted it no longer than 20" long from her waist and since I was planning a waist band, I cut it at 17.
Just measure each side to your desired length and mark it. Now, do the same for the middle. Connect those lines for your cutting line.


This is what it will look like when it's unfolded.


STEP 3


Next, I cut the waist band. I wanted it 5" wide. 

Then fold it over and press. 


STEP 4


Pin the rough edges of the band to the rough edges of the waist, right sides together.
I attached the band with a zigzag stitch, flexible and finishing. ;)

DO NOT sew the ends of the band together. ;)
Trim them to about 1".


STEP 5


Now, for the elastic casing. About 1 1/2" from the top of the waist band, sew a straight line all the way around.


STEP 6


Insert your elastic.
I always pin the ends with giant safety pins. So much easier to push them through without worrying about losing an end!


STEP 7


With the ends of the elastic pulled out a little bit, pin the ends of the band together and sew closed. Once again I used a zigzag stitch.


STEP 8

Instead of hemming the circle (BLECK! What a PAIN!) I used a zigzag all along the bottom. But I was so excited when I finished it that I forgot to take the picture.... LOL 

Now, you're all done!!!!





Any questions?? Don't hesitate to ask!!!!


HAPPY SEWING!!!!




7 comments:

  1. Stacy,
    I love, love this skirt.. Thanks for sharing the instructions. I made Emily [granddaughter] one for a school function
    last year.. I bought a pattern, and your way is so much easier.. Will definitely make more.. Cailey looks adorable in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!! Thank you so much, Judy!!! SO glad you like it!!! I can't wait to see the ones you make!!!

      Delete
  2. if the fabric is not long enough would you just add more like you did at the top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im making my 2 year old a dress to wear around the house and to day care. how would i attach the skirt to the top?

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments!! Thank you so much for taking the time! :)