September 10, 2014

Chevron Knit Pajama Tutorial




Colin really loves his new pajamas! YAY!! Score for mom!! :D 

The fabric I used was some that I won a few months ago from Knits and Giggles. Colin claimed the purple chevron right away. Purple is his favorite color.


What I Used 

1 yard of purple chevron
Less than 1/2 a yard of white knit



Things to keep in mind while sewing with knits. 
  -Use a zigzag stitch or other stretchy stitch. I didn't     always do that here but I should have.
  -DO NOT PULL unless otherwise instructed. It will         pull the fabric all out of shape.



Step 1

I used one of Colin's PJ tops to cut the pattern for the new PJ top. Cut 2 on the fold. 


Step 2 -


Next I cut the sleeves, the cuffs for the sleeve, the cuffs for the legs and the neck. 

I cut the neck and arm cuffs at 2". You will sew them folded over. 

The leg cuffs I cut at 4". You will sew them folded over as well.

To cut the sleeves, use the arm holes on the top that you cut out. You can make them long or short, just measure your child's arm length. 


Step 3


Looks like I forgot to take a picture of the next step. No matter, I can substitute with this one. ;)

Use a pair of PJ pants (or any pants) as a guide to cut the legs of the PJs. 

Make sure to leave 2 1/2 to 3" extra at the top for the waist band. 

Cut 2 on the fold.


Step 4

Next, pin the shoulders, right sides together (it doesn't really matter with a plain knit). 

Sew the seams.


Step 5

Next, pin the sleeve to the arm hole, right sides together. Sew the seam.

Do the same to the other side.


Step 6
 
Next you need to fold the sleeve cuffs in half. Pin the center of the cuff to the center of the sleeve. 

Now, stretch the end of the cuff to the end of the sleeve as you sew. Go ahead and stretch it good! 

Do the same to the other side.


Step 7

Pin the sides all the way from the bottom to the end of the sleeve. Sew the seams!


Step 8


Next, fold over the neckline piece and pin it in place. Now, this time I didn't pull the cuff as I stitched. I think it might have looked better in the end if I had. 

Sew the ends of the neck piece together. 

Next, stitch in the ditch.


Step 9

Now, fold over the ankle cuffs and pin the center in the center of the bottom of the leg.

Stretch as you sew!


Step 10

Now, pin the inseam (lining up those chevrons) and sew from the ankle to the point of the crotch.



Step 11

Now, turn one leg right side out and slide it into the other leg, right sides together.

Pin in place (lining up the chevrons) and sew around, creating the crotch seam.


Step 12 

Now, you're almost done!!

Fold over the top of the PJ bottoms 1", press and fold again.

Sew a line directly across the top.

Sew another line at the bottom but leave an opening for the elastic.

Insert the elastic and sew the ends together.

Sew the opening closed and you are DONE!!!!






Let me know what you think!!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!!


2 comments:

  1. What size is your son. I'm looking at making my kids some PJ's and want to get the right amount of fabric. I was hoping a size 4 to 5T would be made from a yard of 60 knit. What do you think? THanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's about an 8. I made them a little bigger, though, more like a 10.
      I think 1 yard would work well for a 5T. I didn't use much over that for his when all was said and done.
      GOOD LUCK! Let me know how they work out! :D

      Delete

I <3 comments!! Thank you so much for taking the time! :)