August 26, 2012

My New Page for Bags of Hope and Love <3

I added a page up at the top. It is for Bags of Hope and Love. Many people have asked how they can help and what items are needed for the bags so I put that all on one page where it will be easier to find. Dummy me,  I forgot to add some important info! LOL So here it   all is.



The Bags of Hope and Love are for foster children. I called my local social services department and spoke with the lady that is over foster care. I asked her if there was a need for this type of donation and she said DEFINITELY. I then asked her what age group she was seeing the most and she replied that preteens and teens were largest group that she sees. Then I asked what items she would like to see in the bags. Here is a list:



Body wash
Deodorant
Razors
Sanitary items
Shampoo
Conditioner
Body spray
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Books for teens and preteens
Magazines for teens and preteens
Pens
Journals
Individually wrapped snacks
Juice boxes, water bottles, etc
Blankets
Anything you think might make a teen or preteen feel more at home in a strange place




The other items needed are the bags themselves. I have a tutorial for making drawstring backpacks and that is what I am using. The only difference is that I am fully lining the bags to make them more durable.

More info is also on the Bags of Hope and Love <3 page if you are interested in donating items to make the bags.



These kids that are going into foster care have NOTHING. I mean that. Absolutely NOTHING. Most of the time they are picked up somewhere other than their homes like school, day care, etc. Even times when they are picked up at home they will not be able to bring much more than a plastic bag of items. I want you to stop and think about that for a little bit. Think about how you would feel if that was to happen to you. Then once the children are removed from their homes they must sit in an office for hours waiting on paper work and placement into a foster home. For many of these kids the first foster home will not be their last. They may bounce around from one foster care home to another. Think of how that would feel. My heart just aches and breaks for them.

This may be just a small thing but I think it could give them HOPE. And maybe they will know that someone, somewhere cares about them.

We can all make a difference. Even if we only help one person, it means the WORLD to that person and that is strong. That has meaning.

I don't mean to get all preachy but this means a lot to me. You see, I was one of those kids. I went to a foster  home. I was one of the lucky ones, though. I had another option. I called my dad who lived in a different state and whom I hadn't spoken to in over a year and I begged him to come and get me. He was there the next day. I have no idea what would have happened to me. I could have been one of those kids..... I was 16 when this happened and I was terrified! All I had was my purse and the clothes on my back.  So, you see, I KNOW! I have been there. And I want to help in anyway I can.

There are a lot of charities and a lot of causes. This is one that speaks to me A LOT. Find one that speaks to you and support it in anyway you can.





1 comment:

  1. […] more) last year by a fabulous lady! 2 of my good friends donated a lot last year to help out with Bags of Hope and Love. I haven’t given up on that. I just need to settle in and see if I can find some people that […]

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments!! Thank you so much for taking the time! :)